603 Satisfaction of Special Assessment
603 SATISFACTION OF SPECIAL ASSESSMENT
A parish may satisfy its Special Assessment as follows.
603.1 Direct Payment of Special Assessment:
A parish may satisfy the Special Assessment by making direct payment to the Archdiocese, utilizing the following sources of funds:
- Parish overage (or rebate) from Annual Appeal;
- General offertory;
- Proceeds from the sale or lease of a school building that are over and above any amount used by the parish to pay a debt or obligation to the Archdiocese, as required in the use of Proceeds from Sale and Lease of School Buildings policy, available here.
- With approval of the Archbishop, funds from special fund raising activity for this purpose are exempt from Cathedraticum and may include:
- Second Collections;
- Special Appeals; and
- Parish Fund Raising Events.
603.2 Credit for Special Assessment Amount:
A parish may obtain a credit to satisfy or reduce its Special Assessment amount by engaging in the following activities.
603.2.1 Direct Tuition Assistance –
Parishes may receive credit for direct tuition assistance of Catholic schools as follows:
- A parish with a Catholic school (parish or ACS school) on its property or which is formally an affiliate or sponsor of an interparish/regional school, may provide direct tuition assistance to that school.
- A parish may support the Catholic school education of its parishioners at Archdiocesan, interparish or parish schools with direct tuition assistance provided to the Catholic school(s) of its parishioners.
603.2.2 Direct School Subsidy –
Direct subsidies to an Archdiocesan, interparish, or parish school, which includes payments to schools for anything other than tuition assistance, such as documented payment of utility bills, maintenance costs, or other expenses by the parish for the benefit of the school.
A parish with a Catholic school (parish or ACS school) on its property or which is formally an affiliate or sponsor of an interparish/regional school may provide direct subsidies to that school. Other parishes without schools or regional school arrangements are asked to submit payments directly to the Archdiocese.
603.2.3 Endowment –
Contributions to existing parish endowment funds for Catholic schools made through the Catholic Community Foundation may satisfy up to 33% of a parish’s Special Assessment.